Just The Facts (and a Few Rumors)

Sandy Koufax once said: “In the end it all comes down to talent. You can talk all you want about intangibles, I just don’t know what that means. Talent makes winners, not intangibles. Can nice guys win? Sure, nice guys can win – if they’re nice guys with a lot of talent. Nice guys with a little talent finish fourth and nice guys with no talent finish last.”

Tony Jackson  writes this for Baseball America:

The Dodgers have decided to go full speed ahead in converting Josh Lindblom, their second-round selection in this year’s draft, from a reliever to a starter. The former star closer at Purdue is in the Arizona instructional league working on two pitches, a splitter and a straight changeup, in hopes of making one of them the third weapon in his repertoire.

Lindblom, who skipped Rookie-ball and went directly to low Class A when the Dodgers signed him, made eight starts in the Midwest League and posted a 1.86 ERA, although he was stretched out gradually and wound up pitching only 29 innings. He then skipped high Class A altogether and was promoted late in the season to Double-A Jacksonville, where he made a serviceable start on Aug. 28 at Montgomery. In that game, Lindblom worked five innings, yielding two earned runs on five hits, including a double and triple to 26-year-old Rashad Eldridge. He also struck out four and issued only one walk.

Lindblom has a strong chance of beginning next season at Chattanooga, the Dodgers’ new Double-A affiliate, if he continues to progress as he has thus far.

“He is showing more poise and maturity,” Dodgers assistant general manager De Jon Watson said. “We moved him from the bullpen to the starting rotation, and the kid didn’t back off at all. His velocity has been consistently 91-95 miles an hour, and he has touched 96. He commands his fastball to both sides of the plate and has a solid breaking ball.”

Lindblom, 21, agreed to terms with the Dodgers on a $650,000 bonus shortly after the draft. Even before selecting him, assistant GM Logan White and scouting director Tim Hallgren projected Lindblom as a starter.

“He has been receptive (to the switch),” Watson said. “A lot will depend on our needs as we go along. We could put him back in the pen. But right now, we just need him to work on these three pitches, because he is a starter. This kid can pitch.”

Lindbloom will likely start at AA, but he could see LA by mid-season – he’s that good!

RANTS & RAVES:

• D-Lowe allegedly told FoxSports that he wanted to return East after teammates said he would like to stay on the West Coast.  I can’t see him coming back.  Boston, Detroit or New York, maybe Philly!
  • Andrew Lambo is hiting .368 in the AFL
  • Manny?  Schammy!
  • Penny is allegedly going to “do lunch” with Joe Torre.  My question is why?  Do we really want him back?  Maybe as a closer…
  • Saito?  Gone!
  • Sweeney?  He was gone in April.
  • Greg Miller?  How can you justify a roster spot for him?  Would any club actually keep him on their Major League Roster?  I’m not saying we should cut him, but no one is going to take him in Rule 5.
  • Nomar?  Retired.  Kent?  He should be…
  • Does anyone really believe Furcal can hold up for an entire season?
  • Will the Glendale Stadium be ready for Spring Training?

Billy Russell asked for my e-mail address.  Just in case anyone needs to send something, here it is:

mark@ladodgertalk.com

15 Responses to “Just The Facts (and a Few Rumors)”

dodgers32. What a magnificent sight. Thanks Mark. Hi ho,hi ho, it’s off to work we go.

I just read a report the Ken Davidoff predicts that Manny will get 4 years and that the Dodgers will be tough to beatout in the Manny sweepstakes. Peter Abraham also was predicting the same thing. This is weird because I was starting to resign myself into thinking he wasn’t coming back. I started thinking the Dodgers would put all their efforts into signing CC Sabathia and bringing Furcal back. It sounds like D Lowe wants to be a Red Sox again. Well don’t let the door hit you on the rear you wacko. He would have been a good #2 but not worth the money it would take to resign him. If we land both CC Sabathia and Manny, look for Hu at SS, DeWitt at 2b or 3b. If Manny is resigned, also look for Pierre and or Kemp to get traded. I am also reading reports that Bowa may go back to NYY to coach 3rd. I like that guy but if he does, it could open the door for Nomar to become a player coach. That is my rumor of the day. That is what I think for now and I’m gonna stick to it for a while. 8)

It all makes sense to me Bill.

I would love to see the Dogs retain both Manny and Furcal. I like Lowe, as you all know. 200 innings of 1.13 WHIP is really hard to replace, but if he wants to go east, he will. Somebody back there will give him the money, of that you can be sure.

I too thought it would be C.C. and Raffy. But, those guys you quote are closer to this than I am. I just have my doubts about fred and frankie outbidding anyone for someone that is really good. They outbid everybody on guys like Pierre, Jones, and Schmidt, not guys like Manny and Sabathia.

If it came to trading Pierre or Kemp, I think the team would move Pierre. It could be done as his contract isn’t all that out of line. True, it was a lot more than anyone thought it should be at the time, but now, I just don’t know. He brings what he brings – 160 games with close to .300 50+ SB and 100 runs. Somebody would take that off our hands. Kemp is worth hanging on to.

I still look at what Orlando Hudson would take. I too would look at Burrell. Again, everything depends on whether we win the Manny bidding. If we do, then everything changes.

From over there ——————————->

This one surprised me, but Sherman throws a new name as a possibility on the trade market: Russell Martin. Sherman cites rival executives in saying that the Dodgers aren’t “enamored with his makeup” and that with frontline catchers being hot commodities, the Dodgers could explore the market to see what Martin could bring in return. Personally, I think moving Martin would be a mistake, but I have to admit, Martin would indeed fetch a very nice return.

I don’t believe the report going around about Martin, unless we get a very good catcher via F.A. or trade. Russell is/was the second most popular player behind Manny this year. He’s just not a #4 hitter as he was forced into that role. Martin stated after this season that he now understands the importance of days off. That’s good because the last 30 games of the year are always very important.

If trading Martin is the plan, Santana would never have been part of the Blake trade. Our farm system is just not ready to produce a major league catcher from what I can see. Unless Ned is just not thinking ahead and feels that a defensive player is better served at this position and he can fill a hole by sacraficing Martin. I am very uneasy this offseason worring about how Ned can screw this team up.

5. mark says:

Billy,

1. I got your photo. Funny because it was already my screensaver. Another site had it as well, but thanks.

2. I was going to say the same thing about Santana – if they didn’t like Martin, Santana would not be gone. Luke May is probably 2 years away. He will be a solid catcher with a .250 BA and 25 HR by 2011.

3. However, I have put out some “feelers” to some insider in the know about Martin as to whether they have info that some of the Dodger brass feel that way or if he has a darkside we don’t know about.

I’ll keep you posted.

You just never know what might be in the minds of those who pull triggers. There could be a move like…… Martin, Kemp and whoever for Soto and Soriano (a salary dump for the Cubs so they can sign Manny). Yeah I know that’s crazy talk, but I hope you get my point.

There are probably a dozen young catchers around the various systems that are currently blocked that just might be available in the right deal. Let’s not forget who is sitting in our GM chair.

Stand by to stand by.

7. Mark says:

Hey,

If we can trade Martin and improve, I’m all for it. How about we trade Martin to Cleveland for Victor Martinez and Carlos Santana?

8. Mark says:

Berroa is gone…

sniff!

Well I guess we lost Lawdog now. With Berroa gone I’m sure he’ll become a fan of Angel’s new team.

Also sorry Mark I now know you are on the in with the Dodger Brass. I hadn’t seen that photo anywhere so I thought I would send it to you but little did I know it was old news.

And Mr Badger I just completed my 100 pushups. I beat the 7 day grace period with a few hours to spare. I just might continue on with 15-20 per day and wipe the dust off my Bowflex. I now understand that walking the dogs around the block may not be enough to keep the blood flowing.

No News is good news with Ned steering the ship.

10. lawdog says:

Hell, Berroa’s option was too high for what we were getting. But we had no shortstsop and we weren’t going to get to the playoffs without one. When Berroa started to hit like a true .280 hitter, I had to rev up the BerroaBus and plant myself in the drivers seat. GotNoSkills would have had no respect for me if I didn’t.

But become an Angel fan after over 50 years of rooting for our Dogs? Are you out of your mind? Ain;t gonna happen in my lifetime!!! :mrgreen:

Not Angel Fan a Angel Berroa fan.

I am proud of you Bill. Let’s tee up another bet on something – like signing Manny. I got hunskie down & ups that says we don’t get it done. We on?

“No News is good news with Ned steering the ship.”

Amen to that.

Why not Badger. I’m on a roll now so why stop here. If this was a money bet I would require you to pick two teams of your choice to go against the Dodgers. They would be the Yankees and ?.

Well, because of all the interest from teams like the Cubs, Balmore, the Metz, Seattle, Spankees etc. I would like to take the field.

You gonna let me get away with that for 100?

15. Sunny Park says:

Hi!
    My name is Sunny Park and I work with World Impact, a non profit organization that serves inner city children in Los Angeles.
    Your blog is famous amongst Dodgers fans and I wanted to see if you would like to help us promote an event that will be held at the Dodgers Stadium Club for a great cause. Below is the information we have been sending out. Would you be able to help us in our effort to better the lives of neglected inncer city childen? Thank you very much. Please do not hesitate to contact me for further information.

TOM BRADLEY AWARDS NIGHT TO HONOR L.A DODGERS’ TOMMY LASORDA

World Impact Presents Award to Support Inner City Students

LOS ANGELES, CALIF – October, 2008. The World Impact 2008 Tom Bradley Lifetime Achievement Award, featuring a reception, dinner, silent auction and live entertainment, will be held at the Los Angeles Dodgers’ Stadium Club on Saturday, November 15, 2008 at 6 p.m.

This year’s recipient is Tommy Lasorda, who helped to win two World Championships, four National League pennants and eight division titles in an extraordinary 20-year career as the Dodgers’ manager. This Hall of Famer is baseball’s most popular ambassador. He is the spokesperson for the American Heart Association and serves on the Board of the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island Foundation. Master of Ceremonies Craig T. Nelson will headline the entertainment, including world-class flautist Pedro Eustache, a tribute to Tom Bradley and a tremendous video of Tommy’s life.

Proceeds from the Gala will benefit the Los Angeles Christian School (LACS). For more than 25 years inner-city children have received a quality education that emphasizes character, competence and confidence. The LACS is unique in that if one can afford tuition, he cannot enroll. It is for those often neglected or forgotten. Being a sponsor of this event is a fantastic way to empower inner-city children to become all they were created to be. The LACS positively impacts the entire families of the students and through them, the Los Angeles community.

Tickets, which are tax-deductible, can be purchased on the event website at

Contact: Karen Rogers Tel. (323) 735-1137, ext. 301